Thursday, June 23, 2011

Shout Out To The NOOK

"I turned down a new boy toy tonight! "

I mean the new NOOK Color by Barnes and Noble, of course.

I'm not sure I've explained in my blog/jjournal how much I enjoy my NOOK 1 (as it's now called). I love to read. Whether it is getting lost in a good story or dissecting someone else's opinions or beliefs, I enjoy reading. I find it much more relaxing and informative than watching TV, and I think it just has to be more healthy mentally.

But I pretty much quit reading some years back because it's too much trouble. I just can't see well enough to read most books without good lighting and a magnifying glass or some really strong reading glasses. I'd read for ten minutes and my eyes would get tired. It just wasn't worth the effort.

Of course, I watched enthusiastically as the Kindle, the Nook, the Sony Ereader and other products came out. I didn't jump in at the beginning as I saw disadvantages to each. About a year ago, I finally decided on the Nook, and I have been very happy with my decision. I can change the font size depending on my eyes at any given time. And I could see, touch, taste and smell one at Barnes and Noble before I plunked down my money and bought one.

Now they have the Nook Color, and it's more like a smart phone or tablet than an ereader. OK, I'm intrigued. Tonight they had a special class on using the Nook Color, so I went to the class just to see if I wanted one. I wasn't as impressed as I thought I would be. The Internet was useless for me (and my eyes) and the interface (to me) was more convoluted than the original Nook. Sure it does more. But after looking at the new one, and separating the 'sizzle' from the 'steak' as the saying goes, I decided again that I am just really pleased with what I have already.

So without further adieu, I'm going to go enjoy a good book, and pat myself on the back for making a really good decision a whole year ago.