Tuesday, June 14, 2011

A Little Off The Subject, A Little Not

"I actually have many great friends."

Thinking about my blog thoughts this morning and poking around Facebook and Blogland, I by chance ran across a well established blog of an old acquaintance that I met 15 years ago. He's a friend of a friend, and I drove half way across Pennsylvania just to have lunch with the guy. We were never close friends, and I've heard a bit about him over the years, but somehow he managed to make a big impression on me back then.

From there, I started thinking about all of my really good friends and people who have made a difference in my life. My thoughts on these people sort of shifted to a game of word association. For example:

Roger - "Perfect". Absolutely the most perfect person I've ever met without exception or qualification. I could write a book on how much I admire this guy, and how proud of him and our friendship that I am. If I ever would want to be someone else, it would be Roger. But I'd screw it up.

Fred - "Beautiful". Physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually, Fred is the most beautiful guy. What more can be said? I'm glad the guy managed to come across my life.

David - "Fraud". One of the most influential people in my life, but the basis of his influence is totally fake. There's nothing real about our history, but the impact (outcome) is real enough. My part was real. Lest negative connotations be assigned here, I have none. It is what it is. Bitterness belongs to others. I'm actually grateful for the opportunity to have known the guy.

Tommy - "Intense". Balls to the wall all the time. Always on go at high speed. Direction sometimes meaningless. I can't live this way, but it's fun now and then for a while.

Franklin - "Goto Guy". If I ever need anybody's help right now, know I can count on him.

Paul - "Diseased". Terrific guy, but his checkbook is his God and he serves it ruthlessly. A terrible disease to have. Glad I don't.

Pete - "Competent". At the top of his game, and a really great guy.

Sam - "Faithful". My oldest and closest friend period.

Andy - "Real". Through all of the ups and downs of gay life and life overall, Andy's a trooper. Makes the best of things and stays happy. A great mentor and friend.

At work today, I kept a Word document going and added over 50 more people to this list - and the guy that started the process didn't even make the list since we weren't really friends anyway.

The outcome of the exercise is to realize just how many good, quality friends I have. Honestly, I have more than my share. Maybe I should spend a couple of Friday's thinking about and praying for each of these wonderful people who have and do make my life better, and quit complaining about Friday Night Letdown at all.