Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Laughing At Myself

"Please allow me to coagulate a little."

I started off by complaining that I'm bored on Friday nights, the precise time when the rest of the world is excited and adventurous.

One of my bad habits is to take a simple statement like the one above and escalate it into the image of my whole social life, current and past. OK, ao I AM at least part Drama Queen.

As soon as I get there, I realize that I have a lot to be thankful for in terms of the quantity and quality of my friends scattered all over the planet, and I am thankful. There are so many awesome people in the world, and I've had the pleasure of spending some really good time with a whole lot of them.

Focusing on what we don't have to the neglect of what we do have is a very human thing to do. But it is destructive and false. This particular character trait has been responsible for all sorts of negative outcomes from divorce to war between nations. I'm not normally prone to this kind of thinking (because I know better) but now and then, as in this week, I fall for this fallacy too.

I am hungry for more of the kinds of friends I've become accustomed to. And I'm working on a couple of them now.

And I haven't addressed the Friday Night problem at all.