Saturday, April 30, 2011

April Honorable Mentions

"So much to say, so little time to type."

Damned if April isn't over already. It seems to me like I've blogged a lot in March and April. And I've had more page hits than ever. Thanks for reading, BTW. My blog is a journal, not a traditional blog. But to think that someone else might read it keeps me motivated. I really enjoyed writing the series on Easter this month (4/17-24). I love Easter. And I had a great time traveling to Houston, and sharing a couple of observations from that trip.

But it seems like there are quite a few important matters that I should comment on that just didn't make the list. So I wanted to take a second before the month is gone and include some honorable mentions.

Remembering those killed, wounded or impacted by the Oklahoma City bombing is first on the list. That was a major event for everyone on Oklahoma at the time, and I feel bad for letting April 19 go by without comment. I had the occasion to talk with someone yesterday who was directly affected by that awful event, and I had to stop and remember those weeks all over again. I could write for a year about that event and not say everything.

I know there are many problems in our country, with our government, with our cultural mindset and with a growing anger and helplessness that these problems can ever be properly addressed or fixed. I share in the anxiety and pessimism. But we should express that frustration with unity of purpose and an effort to come to consensus, not the way it was expressed on April 19, 1995. Killing 169 people and disrupting so many lives in the spirit of protest is not the right answer, and we are all better than that. Nobody accomplished anything on that day through those actions. Everyone lost and nobody won.

Just as there is growing anxiety and frustration in the U.S. with political, social and financial issues, the Earth itself seems to be expressing its own version of that anxiety in the world. From earthquakes and tsunamis last month to a record number of tornadoes, flooding, drought and unseasonable temperatures lately, the Earth seems to be telling us that it is angry, and that its tolerance is just about exhausted. We should probably start listening, don't you think?

But I would like to extend my condolences and prayers to those impacted by the weather in the southeastern U.S.

One of my favorite events in OKC is the Festival of the Arts, held every year downtown. I'm usually there enthusiastically on the second or third day, and this year I haven't been able to get down there. I'm going today, and really looking forward to it. It is a terrific event in a city otherwise barren of such luxury. I hope the weather is nice.

As to the Royal Wedding overseas, Bill and Kate or whatever, it's not that I didn't get around to commenting on that event as much as I couldn't give two shakes of a fat rat's ass about it. I'm just sayin'. Ignoring that wasn't an oversight. $35 Million could have been spent much more wisely.

Well, I guess that covers April. We'll get May started tomorrow. Thanks again for reading.