Friday, April 29, 2011

Birthday Thoughts

"I'm honored and humbled that the future King of England would celebrate my birthday my getting married."

So the day has come: My second 48th Birthday. My first one was a mistake - I was only 47. Now I'm 48 for real. And it feels good. And life is good.

So what do I want for my birthday? I've been asked that question several dozen times lately. There's a lot of things I want, but I really don't need anything. I can't remember any time in my life before now when I've been able to say that. Now I'm 48 for real. And it feels good. And life is good.

So what are my goals, dreams and hopes for the next year or few? I have many. But the momentum of this year has already been amazing, and I am truly thankful. Now I'm 48 for real. And it feels good. And life is good.

So what have I accomplished in the last year, and what has been the impact of my existence? The best way to answer that question is to read my blog. It's been a great ride. Now I'm 48 for real. And it feels good. And life is good.

So what would I change or do better if I had the chance? A couple of things for sure. But I'm not sure the outcome would change anyway. Now I'm 48 for real. And it feels good. And life is good.

So what have I learned about life this year? Something new almost every day. Some of it is cool, and I love knowing it now. Some of it is ugly and I wish I didn't know. But for better or worse, I'm learning, growing and loving life. Now I'm 48 for real. And it feels good. And life is good.

Did I lose anything important to me in the last year? Yes, from a certain point of view. But I think it's more accurate to say that I realized I never had that which I feel I lost. I think I was finally able to let go of some baggage this year - some dead weight. Now I'm 48 for real. And it feels good. And life is good.

Did I gain anything important to me in the last year? Yeah, I did. My footprint is bigger now than it was last year, my perspective is better. Some specific things? A new church, a balanced budget in my own finances, a partial solution to a real estate issue I haven't been able to get out from under, new friends and a self-help blog. I think I'm getting my mind back too. Now I'm 48 for real. And it feels good. And life is good.

But somewhere out there is the other half of me, and I sure would like to find him. It's good to be needed, but I want to be wanted. Now I'm 48 for real. And it feels good. And life is good.