Thursday, April 21, 2011

Preparation and Pedicure

"Unless I wash your feet, you have no part with Me."

There any many things in life that I love and hate. In the case of a pedicure, I love the outcome, but hate the process. I don't like people messing with my feet or my eyes. Not sure why, these are just things that I would prefer leave alone. But yesterday, in preparation for my weekend trip to Houston, I went and got a pedicure.

Fortunately, I had the whole nail salon to myself, so I didn't have to endure the "weirdo" looks from female customers trying to look good for their guys. I go to a place where the staff doesn't speak English, so if they're poking fun at the old, fat, bald guy, I never know it.

And damn, it makes my feet feel good.

So I'm sitting in the massage chair, having terrible things done to my feet by a not bad looking Asian woman who is quietly singing a very pretty song of which I can understand not a word, feeling uncomfortable and awkward, very much not enjoying the process, but anticipating the outcome, and the story of Jesus washing the disciples' feet comes to mind.

Yesterday I mentioned John 14-17. This story is in preparation for that event, in John 13. Peter was feeling more awkward and uncomfortable than I was. My guess is that he didn't like the process any more than I did. But more importantly, he didn't want to subject someone he admired and respected deeply to the task of washing his feet. In fact Peter said, "You aren't gonna wash my feet." And Jesus said. "If I don't, we're done."

I love Peter's response. He says, "Then wash my feet and my head and hands too." And Jesus went on to explain the point to the exercise, which is the Christian logic that service is greatness. It's not how many servants one has that makes him important, but how many he serves.

Some biblical logic is just backwards from human logic, or even rational thinking. I know this causes problems for a lot of people, and I fight with it too sometimes. But in another sense, the Logic of Perfection should be different from the pragmatic, dirty logic we deal with every day.

The biblical concepts of Redemption, Forgiveness, Servitude, Morality, Giving and Love are all contrary to natural thinking. But these are the very things that make a biblical worldview something that stands out and is better than the rest.

Tomorrow is Good Friday, and represents the day that Christ implemented the biblical logic of redemption through suffering for all of mankind. The math works. The logic is sound. The process sucks, but the outcome is wonderful.

The challenge is to trust the outcome, and walk in it.