Sunday, April 17, 2011

Palm Sunday

"Two things I never want to be: A Liar and a Flake."

As Easter approaches, my thoughts turn to the death and resurrection of Christ, to what that means in a Christian worldview, to how to live a life worthy of that event, to hope in the destiny it promises, to the security of knowing that every bad, wrong or evil thing that has ever happened in all of human history was crucified that day and every good, pure, true and right thing was resurrected with Him no matter what evidence decries otherwise.

Because of the events surrounding Easter, life is about good. That which is good is brought forth from the conundrum of life, and stands forever. The rest fades away like dead leaves in the fall. This is why the bible teaches that there is no condemnation for those who are in Christ, for the law of the Spirit of Life has set us free from the (cause/effect) law of sin and death. Guilt and Christianity do not mix (sorry Baptists). Freedom and Christianity are synonymous. Freedom to go 'All In', and pursue Good and Right with my whole being. Freedom to relate to Ultimate, Universal Good as if he were my big brother and to serve and honor him as God.

Easter is an event that changed history, that redefines life and makes order of chaos. It is an event worthy of celebration, worthy of adoration and praise. Worthy of the people coming out to welcome it by laying down their coats and palm branches to pave the way, shouting, "Hosanna! Hosanna! Blessed is He who comes in the Name of the Lord!"

And a few days later, these same people stood in Pilate's court shouting, "Crucify Him! Crucify Him! We want Barabbas!" And Judas betrayed him with a kiss - a universal expression of friendship, loyalty, affection and trust. What a bunch of two faced, fickle, spineless people! I have never particularly enjoyed Palm Sunday because it is the day of the traitors.

I can conceptualize the reasons for Christ to be sacrificed, and can get my puny mind around the impact of His death and resurrection to some extent. But I cannot see or figure out the point to the traitorous people, or the reason why He had to endure the treason of one of His own disciples. The whole paradigm of His betrayal seems superfluous to the story itself, and just adds extra suffering and heartache where there is already enough.

Perhaps I am especially sensitive to this aspect of life because of my eyes. I have never been able to see very well, and that has always meant that I have to trust others, for better or worse. I know I can't see well, so if you tell me what you see, then I can see better too. If I am to know what I cannot see, I have to trust you to see for me. I would rather be able to see better, but I can''t. So I see via trust as much as vision. I know through relationships in which I have confidence.

Trust is hard to earn and easy to spend. I am probably necessarily more trusting than I should be, and am willing and eager to trust. That is how I see and grow and understand the world around me. But if that bond of trust is broken, especially the trust of someone who calls me a friend, it can never be reestablished again. I wonder if Christ was the same way. He said of Judas, "It would be better for him if he had never been born."

Then I remember that Christ died for those very traitors. The very people who cried, "Hosanna!" one day then "Crucify Him!" a few days later. If I think much about this, it ties my mind and heart up in knots. I don't know how to recover from treason. I don't know how to relate to someone without trust, and I don't know how to trust a traitor. Talk about a conundrum.

Anyway, people do what they do, and it hurts like hell, and I get over it. But the takeaway for me on Palm Sunday each and every year is that I do not want to live a lie or be a flake. And I will do anything not to betray the trust of a friend, someone who counts on me, or my God.