Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Wrapping Up May

"There's Just Never a Dull Moment "

Well, as always, there was more going on in May than I had a chance to comment on. Some last minute details and honorable mentions are:

Thunder Blunder: The Oklahoma City Thunder closed out a remarkable season by giving up two fourth quarter leads to be eliminated in the second round of the playoffs. It was still a great season though. Personally, I'm not a basketball guy. Seems to me that if a basketball game is any good at all, only the last two minutes matter. If the last two minutes don't decide the game, it wasn't a good game anyway. So why don't they just play a bunch of two minute games all on one Saturday and be done?

The pharmacist who shot and killed the armed robber was indeed convicted of Murder 1, and the jury recommended life. I guess I'll never get to hear any details, but as I said, I'm glad I didn't have to make that decision in this case. Bad deal all around.

Know It All Redneck Junk Punks: At the lake this weekend, we stopped in to say hello to our favorite boat mechanic. A couple of years ago, we sold our old boat and got a new one. We asked how the new owners of our old boat were getting along. "Ah, I sent them guys down the road." says the mechanic. "They ain't nuthin but a couple of Know It All Redneck Junk Punks." I thought the nickname was hilarious, especially considering the source. Then I thought about all of the Junk Punks I've run across in life in a number of professions. I wonder of there's a pharmaceutical cure for that?

My youngest Niece and Nephew (Five and Six of Six) provided the most entertaining conversation of the weekend when they decided it was just fine that Mom forgot the marshmallows for the campfire. They could roast the powdered mini donuts that Mom did remember to bring instead. Mom said, "No" and the debate was on. I took the kids' side since the ingredients aren't much different. Besides, the donuts already have a hole for the coat hanger. And the kids don't eat the marshmallows anyway. So what's the problem? Sounds like a good recovery for mom to me. She still doesn't  think so.

IPhone Phooey: I finally fastened a clothes pin securely to my nose and tried to make friends with my sister in law's IPhone.  What a piece of crap that is! After fifteen minutes, I decided my time would be better spent roasting mini donuts instead. Do people actually pay money for this crap? Talk about Junk Punks!

The Paseo Arts Festival was this weekend too. I spent a few hours there before heading for the lake. The excursion was well rewarded. I had a blast, and will be presenting the "Best of Show" award tomorrow. Nope, no hints or sneak peaks. You'll just have to wait a day.

Finally, my dear ol' Mom turns seventy-two today. What a way to end the month. If I'm still around at her age, I only pray that I'm as healthy, active, energetic and happy as she is. Maybe for her birthday, I'll let her read my blog. Ummm, Nah...

Thank You. those of you who are reading my blog. I can tell from the stats page that somebody out there is actually reading my crap. I appreciate it. I notice that many days I'll get a bunch of single hits, probably because of a malfunctioning search engine. But every few days somebody sits down and reads a bunch of pages all at once. That's cool - especially when they're evidently from Malaysia or Germany or someplace I've never been. God Bless and Thanks. Journals are good things, and your reading mine keeps me motivated to write it.