Monday, May 9, 2011

From Zambia to Slightly Stupid

"Don't tell people that. They'll think less of you."

So my nephew that spent some time in Zambia earlier this year tells me he's taking a road trip next weekend. He's Dallas bound to see a concert and generally misbehave, I expect.

Had he stopped there, all would have been well. I'd have thought he and a few buddies were going on an adventure that is appropriate for a 20 year old, and wished them well. I remember taking off for Dallas or Tampico, Mexico or some other place when I was around that age. I had no real responsibilities here, and was interested in seeing the world and building experiences.

But I asked what the occasion was, and heard the rest of the story.

Turns out that he and some friends wanted to see some concert. So my nephew, apparently being the brightest of the bunch (or else the only one with a debit card) logged on to TicketMasters and bought the tickets. Paid for them and printed them out, he did. Proud of himself, he was,  that he got the tickets he wanted at just the right price. Then he read the tickets.

Now instead of going to Tulsa on Thursday, he and his friends are going to Dallas on Friday, because alas, my brightest of the bunch nephew with a debit card did indeed purchase tickets for the right concert, on the wrong date and in the wrong city.

It's good to be twenty, cause none of his friends really care. I just hope that between the bunch of them, they find the right highway that leads to Dallas so they don't end up at a bluegrass concert somewhere in Arkansas. But somehow, I bet they would have a good time even if they did that.

Oh Yeah...The band they're going to go see? "Slightly Stupid."

Sometimes things fit together so well they just couldn't happen by accident.