Thursday, May 26, 2011

My Nephew's Baptism

"All of the flair and style of a drive through wedding."

My 11 year old nephew (fourth of six) was baptized Wednesday evening. The event made me think of my own baptism, 39 years ago next month. Man, that's a long time ago. And man, they don't do things like we used to.

There are probably 5,000 web sites to go to that explain the doctrine and theory behind the sacrament of Baptism. I don't want to write another one. But it is a sacrament just like marriage, and deserves the reverence, dignity and meaning that goes along with each of the sacraments - especially marriage.

In a nutshell, a wedding ceremony is a public declaration and formal introduction of two people who are already in love and committed to each other to the rest of the world - no longer as two people, but as one couple. It is an opportunity for the couple to state their vows publicly and commit and commend themselves to each other in the sight of God and man. Marriage done right is a big deal. So is baptism.

In a nutshell, baptism is a public declaration and formal introduction of one who has already accepted and is committed to the lordship of Christ to the rest of the (universal) church - no longer as an outsider looking in, but as an integral part of Christ Himself. It is an opportunity to commit and commend oneself to God's people and to publicly acknowledge and affirm one's faith in Christ and all that He stands for.

I remember my baptism even though I was only nine. I remember taking it about as seriously as I had ever taken anything. I remember getting wet in the water, but when I dried off, I still felt wet, coated with something I couldn't explain. Different, older, special, chosen and accepted. Later, I learned the word 'annointed', and thought, "Yeah, that's what baptism was like." It was then, and is now, a very real experience for me.

I remember the pastor praying over me, asking me if I was ready to publicly proclaim my decision to make Christ Lord of my life, baptising me and introducing and welcoming me to the family of God. I remember it being an awesome, incredible day.

My nephew's church didn't take the ceremony very seriously, so I'm not sure how they could expect my nephew to take it seriously. They ran 25 kids through a swimming pool set up on stage in children's church. They didn't pray over or introduce anyone. They just ran them through, dunked them and reached for the next one. I felt like I was in Vegas at a drive through wedding.

Still, I hope the experience was and will be as meaningful and special for my nephew as it was for me. Being baptized was truly one of the highlights of my life. I am glad and proud to be a part of what God is doing in the human race, and I know that I have a role to play and a destiny when it's all said and done.