Sunday, October 16, 2011

All Is Well

"Hey, I'm all caught up."

I ended the week Friday at 4:30 by signing our renewal for our line of credit at work. I knew the guy was coming, so I worked to get all of my stuff done before he got there. I realized about fifteen minutes before our appointment that my desk was pretty much cleared off, and that I was, for the first time in months, caught up.

Our collections finally caught up with expenses incurred to produce the sales that led to the collections, so all of the bills are paid. As my desk is the resting place for any piece of paper that no one else in the office wants to deal with, my desk usually contains a collection of crap that I either deal with or throw away. And that's all done for now.

On October 7th, I did some mental/emotional house cleaning and I find my agenda of things to think about is in about the same shape as me desk.

Both at work and outside of work, there are some things on the not too distant horizon that will need my attention. My nephew made me play a no fun game of "Heads or Tails" last week, and an equally unpleasant game of "Rock, Paper, Scissors" is inevitable. Rock: When a man's down, kick him. I'm done supporting a lifestyle I fundamentally disagree with. Paper: Give the kid a break. He's young and will make mistakes. The rest of the world will kick him hard enough. Don't add my boot. Scissors: Up to now, I've let him do his own thing with invited advice only and no interference. The interference starts now.

I don't particularly like any of those answers. If anyone has a vote or some advice, I'd love to hear it.

But my thoughts this weekend are about how good it feels to be on top of things again. My house is even clean and my laundry is caught up. I'm in an all too temporary state of being just now where all is in order, and I can really rest.

There are moments in almost every day of 'imposed peace'. These are good times when I intentionally and belligerently push the conflicts, agendas, thought processes and drama away and immerse myself in a peace based on the knowledge that Christ has the whole world in his hands, and that one of the benefits to walking with Him is encapsulated by Philippians 4:6-7:
Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
But I also enjoy times like now when the world is right, all is well and life is good all by itself, without being enforced by faith or held on to by reaching outside of myself.