Sunday, October 30, 2011

Halloween Is Here. Bah! Humbug!

"I was going to dress as a UT fan, but I can't even pretend to be that miserable."

My understanding is that the gay world has adopted Halloween as Gay Christmas, which makes my "Bah! Humbug!" response absolutely appropriate. As far as I'm concerned, Halloween is irrelevant. But the day after Halloween kicks us into Thanksgiving, Christmas and the New Year. Before long, it will be Christmas shopping season. And since Charity Begins At Home, I'm expecting to buy myself some really nice things - on sale!

I do believe in ghosts. In fact, when 2011 becomes a historical event rather than an ongoing experience, probably the biggest single accomplishment I will be able to quantify is the extent to which I've managed to run off the ghosts in my life. People who died years ago have finally made the transition from part of my life to part of my past.

Halloween is typically associated with evil. And evil is typically associated with scary. I expect that evil, if allowed to fully express itself, is in fact much more scary than any of us want to experience, just as good is more wonderful than any of us can aspire to know. Isn't it amazing that people who will not even entertain the possibility of the existence of God will eagerly embrace the underworld, and the dark forces of universe?

If Halloween has any value, it is in the emphasis it places on the mystic, metaphysical, supernatural part of life. The polarity is usually backwards, but the concept is cool. We need to be reminded that the universe is more than physics, time/space and cause/effect.

Anyway, on a more shallow level, Halloween is an opportunity to put on a mask and a costume and be something that I'm not. So how is that different than church every week or the bars on any day that ends in "y"? I've figured out that the reason I can't seem to relate to people in either context is that I just can't relate to people's masks. It's too much trouble, and there's no substance to it anyway. What's the point?

So, for those of you who are into it, Happy Halloween. I'm going to put on my standard benevolent, bald, middle-aged, fat man costume and cheerfully give candy to kids that have the audacity to knock on my door. Like tax season, it will be over before I know it.

Bah! Humbug!