Monday, October 10, 2011

Grate Wall Of Fire

"A roaring fire in the fireplace is the biggest asset winter brings."

I know, it's not winter. This was just a trial run. I love a roaring fire. My preference is a campfire, but I'll take a candle if that's all I can get. I have a fireplace in my house that is the exact thing a fireplace shouldn't be. It's a huge masonry fireplace, 36 inches deep and 30 inches wide. And a traditional fire creates a strong updraft that pulls every bit of heat out of the house and pushes it right up the chimney.

Now what do I do with that? For the past five years, I've only used the fireplace when (like today) it's a little chilly, but not cold enough for the heater. Once the furnace goes on, I forget I have a fireplace and use lots of candles. I've been looking for a better solution, but damn.

A fireplace insert costs $3-6,000, and takes away the whole benefit of a roaring fire from my perspective. I want a heart warming, soothing fire, not a wood stove. I don't have natural gas in my house (thank God), so gas logs aren't an option. Propane logs and a propane tank outside on the back of the fireplace would work, but I can't find anyone to put that all together - and I'm not smart enough.

Well, whether it's a pig in a poke or a sincere solution, I found a company in Connecticut called Grate Wall of Fire who redesigned the fireplace grate to solve exactly my problem. I researched it as much as I could, and found a plethora of college educated morons who listed probably a thousand reasons why this thing wouldn't work but never used it. I found about 3 people who bought it and loved it. I couldn't find anyone who tried it and didn't like it. So I bought one. I love it.

I can't yet comment on whether it helps much with heat, but I can say that last night I enjoyed the most wonderful fire I've had in my fireplace since I moved here. And, other than adding a log to it now and then, I haven't had to touch it since I started it. And the fire, with the ongoing sound of rain coming from the open back door, a glass of wine and Romantic period Piano music playing on Pandora, made for a really great evening.

If this is what I'm in store for this winter, Bring It.