Tuesday, October 11, 2011

11th Inning, Grand Slam, Walk Off Home Run

"Ooh! Ooh! I want one! I want one!"

Last night he Texas Rangers prevailed over the Detroit Tigers in game 2 of the ALCS with a home run from Nelson Cruz. He popped one over the left field wall to end the game, in the 11th inning with the bases loaded. The crammed stadium erupted. It was a beautiful sight. He hit the first walk off grand slam home run in post season baseball ever.

There's a story behind it. Cruz has been a fantastic player for a while, and is no stranger to the Home Run Trot. But he spent time on the disabled list earlier this year, and hasn't really been doing much since his return. His batting average was something like .168 since returning from the DL. Saturday night he hit his first home run. Then last night he homered in the 7th to tie the score. The grand slam in the 11th, in addition to making baseball history, says to the whole world that he's back.

Moments like this are what baseball players live for - Major League and Little League players alike. It was cool to watch, I've had a few moments like this in my life in various paradigms. I know its an awesome feeling and a great day for Cruz.

But he didn't load the bases, the rest of the team did that. And, although I didn't see the whole game, I'm pretty sure that Ian Kinsler or Michael Young made a brilliant infield play or two that saved a run and extended the game to the 11th. Baseball is a team sport with plenty of opportunities for each player to shine like Cruz did last night.

Such is life and business and family and about every other important thing. I love being on a team, taking my turn in the bright lights now and then and enjoying my teammates when its their turn too.

It was just a really inspiring thing to watch it all come together last night.