Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Too Much TV

"My dad used to call it the Idiot Box."

Part of my funk last weekend, which is ongoing but better this week, includes a general lack of interest in things at the moment. Part of it is the realization that despite my fancy words about momentum this year and growth and significance, etc., not much has fundamentally changed since this time last year. Part of it is that my back hurts, which is a result of (among other factors) being too fat. Part of it is looking too hard at what I don't have in life and not appreciating what I do have, what I have accomplished and where I am going.

As I go over these things, I am pretty sure that my funk has developed right alongside and is directly proportional to the amount of TV I've been watching since I switched to U-Verse last month. I guess I thought that if I'm gonna pay this much for TV, I should at least watch it now and then. And I am enjoying the World Series. But it seems like I've developed a routine of working in front of a computer all day, going home and sitting in front of a TV until bedtime. And eating too much, of course.

Mundane routines in life are exactly what saps interest. Doing the same thing every day prohibits real growth. A sedentary lifestyle promotes all kinds of aches and pains - especially back pain, and adds to the 'too fat' equation. And TV is notorious for showing us all of the things life has to offer that we will never have.

So, as my dad would say, it's time for me to get up from in front of that idiot box and do something.

I think I'll take his advice.