Friday, December 31, 2010

Universal Momentum

"Sometimes it's good to go with the flow."

Part of the Christian worldview that I believe in is a concept I call "Universal Momentum". The basics of this concept are:
  • The universe was created intentionally, in a single and ongoing act of creative energy by God. He created the universe as part of a plan, with goals that are inherently good. As such, the universe was created in an atmosphere of joyful anticipation, and is today filled to the brim with excitement, joy, a driving purpose and a bias toward honoring and exalting its Creator.
  • Everything in the universe is a coherent, intentional part of the initial creation. Nothing exists by accident and nothing is incidental or insignificant. Everything that exists has a role to play in what might best be called "The Great Dance", and nothing that was created is meaningless, worthless or irrelevant.
  • The universe was created with a destiny or consummation in mind from the beginning. There is a fulfillment or a completion point to creation that has not been attained. Time is a tool created to facilitate the process of a universal life-cycle that began with creation and ends with consummation. 
  • The whole universe, acted on by the force of creation, moves forward in time toward the point to it all with enthusiasm, unity of purpose and unstoppable precision, as it was designed to do from the beginning.
Humanity (and each human) uniquely has the choice of participating in or denying this universal momentum. I can be a part of the glory of it all, or I can choose not to. If I choose not to participate in the universal momentum, where does that leave me? In the abyss. In the void. There is no other place to be.

It is my contention that by accepting my role in the context of universal momentum, I gain the help and support of the whole created universe. The bias of the whole universe is to bring about the consummation as a mother in labor brings forth the child.  My momentum, when aligned with universal momentum, makes me part of the inherently good consummation God intended when He created the whole thing.

It is my contention that when my actions are in line and congruent with the motion of universal momentum, I join an overwhelming chorus - a tsunami of creation running headlong toward a destiny that is far better than I could ever have imagined.

It is my contention that this is the normal state of being for humans. The disconnect we see in this world, that seems so overbearing at times, is not the norm. It is the exception. It is merely a temporary illusion that cannot last. Sound cannot travel in a vacuum, and therefore never leaves our atmosphere. Even though the earth is very noisy, the remainder of the universe never hears it. So it is with everything that does not line up with the momentum of the universe. It all just fades away.

In 2011, more than ever before, I want to align myself with this universal momentum. I want to be a part of the purpose and destiny of creation. I want to do it right - not that I'm afraid of doing it wrong, I just don't want to be that way.

Come with me! It's going to be a hell of a ride!

(Why on earth would anyone in his right mind not want to believe this?)