Wednesday, December 1, 2010

From Thankfulness to Joy

" ‘tis the season to be Jolly … "

Well, it’s December already. I love December for several reasons. Yeah, there are Christmas presents and time with family, lots of food and fun. And don’t forget office parties, end of year reporting, and a whole lot of extra work to do. December is by definition a very busy month.

I deal with the busyness and extra work. But what I really enjoy about December is the Joy it represents. November represents Thankfulness, December represents Joy and January represents Renewal and Hope. This is how it has always been for me.

Since I am one of those who believes the Christmas story, Christmas represents the date that God presented Himself to man in a way that promotes intimacy and oneness. At Christmas, we celebrate Immanuel (God with us; revealed in us). Because of Christmas, we have the option to approach God as Father and Helper, not just a god to be feared and obeyed. God is God with or without Christmas. God is Abba (Father) because of the events we celebrate on Christmas Day. Joy is appropriate, and the season fills me with it.

December is also a time of reflection on the events of the year – and this has been a busy year. Some really good things happened this year, and a couple of not so good things too. As I look back to the goals I had for the year, and my expectations for 2010, I am in awe of what a fantastic year this has been for me personally.

Since my blog is as much of a journal or diary as it is a blog, I will likely document some of the milestones achieved this year in the not too distant future.