Tuesday, December 14, 2010

A Gay Christian's Math Part 5 and a Half

"I'm going to hell anyway. I might as well take the scenic route."

Previously, I discussed how Romans 1 shouldn't be used as a stand alone means of condemning anyone. But the issues raised in my last post have another side. In fact, all of the math I have shared so far has been to help Christians understand how things are from a gay perspective. To summarize: I don't believe --
  • That God would have me live a lie and try to marry a girl when I know I'm gay.
  • That being gay is in and of itself an abomination.
  • That being gay is a choice, an intentional decision, which is a criteria for sin.
  • That the only options a gay man has are to either lie or be alone.
Further, I don't believe Christians should believe these things either. I understand that straight, conservative Christians don't have to think through these issues the way I had to. Hopefully, they are starting to, just because it's the right thing to do. I hope some of them will study my math, and understand the gay world's situation better, but whether they do or not, they'll be OK.

The bigger problem lies with the gay community itself. I contend that the gay world puts more faith in the religious condemnation of homosexuality than Christians themselves. They've adopted the mindset that God (if he exists) hates them anyway, so they have nothing to lose. It doesn't matter what they do. They can't win, so they might as well lose with a party. God, and anything that is tainted with the smell of it, is irrelevant and offensive.

If I'm out of bounds anyway, then boundaries don't apply to me. There is no incentive to respect the boundaries of morality or godliness. If God hates me, and God is love, then love is not real to me. God is not real to me. I have to find something else to live for. And every evil thing in the world offers itself as the answer. And none of these things are enough. And Romans 1 becomes the status quo. And dead minds, souls and bodies become the only reality there is. This is exactly the kind of death that Christ came to save us from.

There is a better way. Christians know it already. The gay world is not excluded from it, but has believed the lie that they are ineligible to participate in it. They've pretty much rejected the whole notion of it, and are experiencing the consequences of buying a lie.

With the fanfare of the brightest star, and thousands of angels singing, Christ was born as a helpless baby in a manger suitable for goats, not people. He didn't come to condemn the world, but to show us the Father's love, and how real that love is. Where on earth could that kind of love have more impact than with a people group who has been falsely taught that it's not for them?

Fellow Christians! Stop Teaching That Crap!
Fellow Fags! Stop Believing It!