Monday, February 28, 2011

Money Monday

"It's always more fun when money and conversation flows both ways."

Monday is always the busiest day of my week. Somehow, money always comes in on Mondays. I don't know why, it just works out that way. Maybe most of our customers write Accounts Payable checks on Thursdays or something.

The past few weeks, it seems like I've been writing a ton more checks than I've been depositing. We're in the middle of adding 2,000 sq. ft. to our building, we recently bought the important parts of an airplane that will fly no more, we're brokering some parts that are expensive - and we have to buy them before we sell them. I've got a new server on the way, which I actually bucked the system and ordered before the old one dies. Business is good, but circumstances over the past few weeks have - well, let's just say my butt's been a little puckered.

Unfortunately, the deal with my job is that these kinds of problems are mine and mine alone. I don't tell anyone else about them because if they get concerned about cash flow, they make decisions differently than they normally do, and that almost always costs money in the end. So, it is my cross to bear when things get turned upside down from time to time.

This upside down economics evidently works fine for the government. I don't understand how, but somebody evidently does. But I do know that it doesn't work for our little business. I've been waving my Harry Potter wand over the computer screen every morning for the past couple of weeks, counting on timing to work out right.

Today especially, I want to say "Thank You" to all of our customers who paid their bills on the past couple of Monday's. You have really helped Monday to be my favorite day of the week!

(Now my bro wants to buy a new hot tub. Sheeesh!)