Sunday, February 13, 2011

MIQ #2: The Missing Ingredient - The Main Ingredient

"Something wonderful happened and now I know, He Touched Me and made me whole "

Surely there is something deeper, some more meaningful, substantial reason why I am a Christian besides the fact that I happen to like it - like I like green beans or jazz music. In a way it seems to be the nature of life that I have to choose a worldview (or have one chosen for me). But in another way, that seems backwards. I don't choose gravity, it just is. If I decide not to submit to it and try to fly, it just is (and I fall on my butt). I can like it, hate it, argue with it, ridicule it or surrender to it, and it just is.

Truth should be like that, and many times it is exactly like that. My mind tells me that a universally objective worldview should be this way too. Acceptance or rejection of it is irrelevant. It just is. From a certain point of view, if it has to be accepted, sought out or distinguished from the competition, it is already disqualified as universally objective.

On the other hand, truth only really exists in the context of a worldview.

8+5=13  so long as we're working in the decimal system. In a hexadecimal system, 8+5=D. In binary math, the same equation looks like 1000+0101=1101. The numbering system we use doesn't really change truth, only the way expressions are represented. But our worldview becomes our numbering system. Everything around us is understood in terms of our worldview, including truth.

For example, if I asked a hundred people a True or False question like, "True or False: 13=D=1101," probably all hundred people would answer "False" and think the question is nothing more than jabber. All hundred would be wrong. The expression is True (universally and objectively), but one must know this truth in the context of decimal, hexadecimal and binary numbering systems.

How then could we ever find universally objective truth, or a universally objective worldview?

I have thought about this a lot, and I can only find two possibilities. 1. This whole discussion really is jabber, and the Default Answer is the only one we can ever really have. Or 2. The Universally Objective worldview, and its subset of truth, has to help me find it. It has to connect with me in a proactive way that I can understand its point of view and accept (or reject) it.

I don't see any way around it. And Christianity excels like no other worldview in providing this connection.

Let me try to say this more simply: In order to see something with my eyes, two things have to happen. First I have to look. If I'm not looking, I will not see. Second, I have to be able to see. If I look but just don't have the ability to see, I will never see. I can control the 'looking' but I cannot control my ability to 'see'. Life has to provide that.

Same with a worldview. I have to choose one. And the right one has to make itself known to me. Both ingredients are necessary in order for me to find the right one (other than the Abyss). The basic Christian story is that Christ came from God to show God to us and become in His own person the very path to God and God's universally objective worldview. (Remember that for now all worldviews get to tell their story. We'll worry about rippig them apart later.)

What worldview has a better mechanism for reaching out to humanity than tthe Christian worldview? The answer is easy: None.