Monday, February 14, 2011

At Least It's Red and Good for the Heart!

"I want to ride my bicycle, I want to ride my bike."

It's Here! Yep, it's that time of the year when the whole universe pokes fun at all of us single people who have nobody to spend Valentine's Day with except their own sorry selves. All of the couples in the world go do stuff, buy each other presents and enjoy each others' company while people like me sit around and wonder why we're not good enough.  Thank God it's only one day.

You'd think after so many years I'd get used to the ritual and find something to do with myself on at least this one day. But alas, another one comes, and another, and another...

Well, this year I've decided to rebel. I bought my own self a Valentine's Present. And it's really pretty, and red. And it's good for the heart - or so I hear. I guess the saying, "That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger" applies.

I bought myself a 2010 Fuji Sunfire 3.0 Bicycle.

It has 24 gears (of which I'll probably use three), and the guy that sold it to me said all kinds of good things about it.

I haven''t been on a bike since the early 90's, when a friend of mine talked me into going on a 40 mile ride. It about killed me, but I made it almost all the way. My friend went on ahead and was run off the road by a Texas redneck in a beat up old pickup. He wasn't hurt too bad, and I didn't have to ride back!. It all worked out.

But Oklahoma City has been working hard to develop some really nice bike trails throughout the city. There's one around a local lake, another that connects two city lakes, another that follows the river through the city and several more. Since I'm paying for it through my sales tax cotribution, I might as well enjoy it.

And I need to get out. I need to enjoy the lake, fresh air and exercise. Especially since I don't have anyone else to spend Valentine's Day with.