Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Hundreds Gather for Global Warming Protest

"It rained all night the day I left, the weather it was dry.
The sun so hot I froze to death, Susanna, don't you cry
"

I'm not sure what I think about Global Warming. I don't trust the science, especially after the ozone fiasco in the '70's. But it seems like things are changing (and perception is reality).

Then there's the question as to whether change is a good thing or bad. If you live in Northern Canada, change might be good. An island in the south Pacific that's only a few inches above sea level anyway might be a place to avoid.

Then there is the evidence. We're having the coldest weather in Oklahoma in the last 20 or 30 years. That doesn't sound like global warming. But the U.N. says the global average temperature is rising. It must be really hot someplace right now. Science says hotter than normal weather and colder than normal weather are both signs of global warming. It seems to me like almost every year will be hotter or colder than normal.  I don't see how looking at weather patterns over the last 100 years of the 4.5 billion years of earth history can indicate a trend. The sample is too small.

Or is this whole Global Warming thing like driving a car. Anyone who drives faster than me is a maniac. Anyone who drives slower is a moron. Therefore the world consists entirely of maniacs and morons. If the weather is too hot, I tend to blame global warming. If it's too cold, I scoff at the idea.

So, here's the question: Is the picture above cynical? Or are these guys really worried? Whichever it is, I think I agree with them.