Monday, February 21, 2011

Life For The Fun Of It

"Music to drown by...Now I know I'm in First Class."

I guess the article I read and my previous post, combined with my meager efforts to document why I believe in Christ and the Christian worldview makes my mind drift from 'sex for the fun of it' to 'life for the fun of it''.

In a way am jealous of people who can genuinely think like this. All of the things I lack and strive for would be summarily dismissed if I were able to live life with the singular objective of having fun. I know some really shallow people who pretty much live this way. All that matters is having a good time.

But at what cost?

Saying "Yes" to one thing always automatically says "No" to many other things. Plus, we live in a cause/effect world where our actions are judged by their impact and the repercussions they cause. On one hand, repercussions and effects of my actions would either be fun or I would dismiss them as unimportant (I guess). On the other hand, reactions to my actions could easily cause me more pain then the pleasure I received initially - not to mention the mess they could leave behind in the lives of others.

Many things in my life are not very fun, but they are important to me. I don't want to say "No" to them. Many other things that I think are important are also lacking or missing in my life altogether. But I still don't think I want to say "No" to them either.

I think I want and need to strive to grow, accomplish, learn and achieve. I think that to do less is to be less than human; less than we are created to be. Even though there are periods in life where all I can see are my failures and shortcomings, there are other times when I am very proud of who I have become and who I am growing into.

The only way I think I could buy the 'life for the fun of it' mentality is if I actually believed that life is nothing more that what I see around me and I have no destiny except to die one day. I'm not sure anything could be fun in that context.

But, alas, I wish I had more fun.