Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Well, It's About Time for Wellness and Strength

"New Year is New Focus"

I have mentioned previously that for me, I intend 2013 to be a year of Wellness and Strength just as 2011 was a year of Momentum. It's now time for me to think through what that means a little more specifically.

Maybe a good overview is in order. Maybe some thoughts on each area of life is appropriate. Maybe a list of goals or accomplishments will help. Maybe I have no clue what wellness is, which is why I need to focus on it this year.

But there are a bunch of issues I know need my attention, and I've already started working on them.

First, Smoking. I gotta quit this shit!. I am trying a new nicotine replacement system. There's a whole subculture of ex-smokers who can't quite get rid of the nicotine. They have managed to quit smoking and start 'vaping'. There's a store here called "The Vapor Hut" that sells the equipment and supplies. I saw someone using it at a bar a couple of weeks ago, and bought one the next day. So far, so good. This is what an e-cigarette should have been from the beginning.

Second, Eating. For years I have skipped breakfast, waited until I'm so hungry I can't think about anything else, ate whatever was close and fast without regard to health, then ate a big dinner and went to bed. I've been living this way since my early 20's, and there has to be a better way. I'm not going to eat tofu and bean sprouts for the rest of my life, but surely I can do better than I am. I have a plan. I'll document my progress as I get it started.

Third, Exercise. This should be the easy one. I don't need a plan or a new concept. I don't need education or knowledge. I don't need motivation or encouragement. I don't need to focus on the benefits. I just need to get up off of my fat, lazy ass and go do it. Sounds good, right? We'll see.

What occurs to me as I focus on Wellness and Strength is that each of these things (and fifty more) are hard. Logically, I think I should tackle them one at a time. This is what I've tried (and failed) to do in the past.

So the 2013 Wellness and Strength wisdom is that all of these things are related. They're not separate issues. Exercise will be more practical and effective if I can actually breathe and eat right. Eating right will be more palatable if I am exercising enough to use up the calories I consume.

My thinking as I start the New Year is that Wellness and Strength cannot be broken down and compartmentalized like the chart above. It's all one thing, and all of it affects all of life. And each step forward makes the whole better and the whole is no stronger than the weakest part.

But I want to be well and strong. And 2013 is now officially designated as the year for that process to take tangible form in my life.