Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Can Cats Suffer From Mental Illness?

"I'm much to clever to fall for your attempts to make my life better."

My brother really screwed up for Christmas. His idea was fine. He wanted to give each of my three youngest nieces and nephews a cute, cuddly, kitty-kitty for Christmas.

Of course he waited until Christmas Eve to actually try to find three kittens and he had to take what he could get. And that was three not so little. barely cute, barn cats that don't have a clue how to cuddle or purr.

Two of the the cats have begun the rehabilitation process. They sort of like being fed, having their ears scratched, sleeping in a warm house, etc. But the third cat won't have any part of it.

He ain't havin' any of that lovey-dovey stuff, he refuses to eat that food from a bag and would never be caught sleeping anywhere. Try to challenge its perspective and make its life better and you're in for a fight!

I had an employee once that behaved the same way. I could just tell him, "Good Morning" and he acted like I was attacking him. One time I screwed up and said, "Why are you being so defensive. I'm not picking a fight." This, of course, was a direct attack.

Unfortunately, the young man treated my customers exactly the same way, so I eventually had to attack him, which I did by kicking him to the curb. Sad.

Why couldn't he see me as an asset? Why couldn't he join my team and work with me instead of turning everything into a confrontation? Who knows? Was he insane or just way too clever to be manipulated by someone like me?

How many times does life put a real asset in our path and we respond like we're being attacked? So many people face disastrous consequences to problems with easy solutions, but woe to the one who tries to introduce them to the solution. "It's my life. I have rights. You can't possibly understand what I'm going through." Blah, blah.

It's amazing how hard we hang on to things that hurt us or hold us back. Just like that cat, we get all stubborn and belligerent if a suggestion is made that we could do life differently and experience different results.

Maybe we all need to try to be smarter (or not as smart) as this damn cat.