Monday, January 21, 2013

Wellness and Strength Cop-Out #1: I'm Too Busy

"Nobody does what he HAS time to do. He does what he MAKES time to do"

Well, I'm supposed to be focused on Wellness and Strength this year, and more specifically on learning to eat better. As I look at the first three weeks of the year, I guess it's time for my first excuse, "I'm Really Busy!"

Bullshit! Everybody is busy!

A couple of months ago, I was in a ghetto in Kenya. There were up to a million people living there by some estimates. They don't have jobs. They don't have food. They don't have electricity. They don't have anything - not even time. They're all busy.

I learned all about 'busy' from dentists in the Kansas City area back in the early '90's when I sold dental practice management software. The busiest dentist in Kansas City would find a way to take my call if it was important to him to talk with me - even if he had both hands and one foot in a patient's mouth.

The dentist who hadn't seen a patient in four days was too busy to talk to me if he didn't want to.

"I'm too busy" is a universally acceptable way to tell someone that they just aren't important enough, It's a socially and professionally acceptable excuse for not getting something done on time (or at all). It's a way to justify not doing things that someone else thinks are important.

But when you pull that line on the guy in the mirror, it's a self delusional lie.

In other words, "Bullshit!"

I'll do better, I promise.