Saturday, January 22, 2011

MIQ #2: The Pragmatic

"Many times the most obvious answer is also the right answer."

Another whole class of worldviews falls under the heading of The Pragmatic. To me, Humanism, Materialism  and Aestheticism fall into this category. All of these worldviews share a very noble character trait, which is that they sacrifice Destiny for Legacy. In many cases, people who cling to these worldviews are wonderful, caring, giving, beautiful people. These worldviews are very 'earthy', and full of flavor.

Humanists take a lot of crap from the church because they replace God with Humanity. The glory of humanity is the goal, and any one life is only a very small piece of that goal. Self worth and satisfaction in life come from doing everything possible to advance the next generation, build a solid, secure society, care for others and insure the survival and continued growth and development of the human race. Humanity is the important thing, and my contribution to the future of humanity is the legacy that gives my life definition and meaning.

Materialistic people, who derive their self esteem from the power they wield, the fortunes they accumulate and the influence they exert, are less fortunate. They know they can't take it with them, but they can enjoy it while they are here. And even after they have more than they could possibly enjoy, they continue to strive to acquire more. I think that nobody would choose this worldview intentionally, but many are afflicted by it.

Aestheticism is much more interesting to me. The opposite of materialism, aestheticism seeks beauty, and values it above all else. Beauty needs definition, but the connotation of aestheticism is that the whole world is beautiful and this beauty should be acknowledged, exalted and appreciated. Further, each of us has the ability to recreate or originally create beauty, and not to do so is not to live. My legacy is my beautiful life, and the impact I have had on the world in highlighting and preserving its inherent beauty.

I am a very pragmatic person, despite obvious evidence to the contrary in my blog. I admire the pragmatic worldviews because of their obvious impact and effectiveness. I don't want to steal my thunder from my conclusions about choosing a worldview, but the Christian worldview is all of these pragmatic worldviews on steroids. Christianity completes and empowers any of the worldviews mentioned above - even materialism, albeit somewhat conditionally.

I would think, for example, that a true humanist would genuinely appreciate the Destiny offered by the Christian worldview both on an individual basis and concerning all of humanity. My concern with all of the pragmatic worldviews is that they are short sighted and too limited. I can imagine a better, higher purpose for each of the pragmatic worldviews I considered, and see no conflict but only augmentation when aligned with the more esoteric worldviews available to me. I see no necessity in sacrificing Destiny for Legacy.

I want a worldview with a more meaningful outcome than the Divide By Zero answer, that is more tangible than the Abyss, more reliable (credible) than science and reaches higher than the pragmatic.. Now am I asking for too much here?