Thursday, September 1, 2011

September's Second Wind

"One cannot exhale all the time. Sometimes you have to take a deep breath."

I'm looking forward to September this year more than normal. I enjoyed August more than I usually do, but I always enjoy September. I think a lot of it has to do with the weather cooling off. It's usually possible to spend some time outside in September, and there's a lot of work to do in my yard - this summer and the preceding winter were very hard on my landscape. I've got a ton of work to do, but not in the 100+ degree heat.

Most people probably associate September with the beginning of College Football Season. I admit that I wear my one and only OU shirt once or twice. I own an OSU shirt and a cowboy hat, but Halloween isn't until October, and I'm ugly enough without the bright orange. (I look good in my boots and hat though.) This season is shaping up to be like Christmas when your brother is in Afghanistan or something. UT isn't in Afghanistan, but they aren't gonna have a football team this year either.

The Oklahoma State Fair starts Sept. 15. I usually love spending time out there every year. The weirdos on the midway and the junk food are worth the trip, and I enjoy going through the exhibit halls too.September and October are usually lake intensive for me too. I haven't spent nearly enough time there this year.

Other than that, I can't think of anything that really happens in September. It always ends up being one of my favorite months. This year, where momentum has been my buzzword all year, August was a chance to regroup, and I'm hoping that September is like a second wind.

The one stated goal of this year is to improve my pathetic social life. I've made some effort, but don't have much to show for it. I made one good friend earlier this year, and now he's been offered a job out of state and will probably move in December. Good for him, boo for me. 

I'm not much inclined to push things right now. I'm more geared to relax and see what life brings my way. 2011 is 2/3 over, and I feel that the agenda for the year isn't anywhere near 2/3 finished.