Monday, September 26, 2011

Boundaries and Yeses

"Blessed are those who have learned to acclaim you, who walk in the light of your presence, O Lord.."

I don't think that in all my 48 years living in Oklahoma there has been a more beautiful weekend. The weather was perfect. I want to formally place my order for about a zillion more weekends like this one. It was a little too cold to enjoy the boat, and there is still a burn ban, so we didn't go to the lake. I got to stay home, enjoy a couple of football games, do some stuff outside, relax and drink in the beautiful weather.

But by the time we decided to stay home, I had already pulled out the boundaries story from my past. Damn, I was a smart guy in 1997. Maybe I need to go spend some time with that guy summore. The concepts in that post, that came alive to me that day at the lake so long ago really helped me process events that were going on in my life at that time, but are also strangely relevant to my life now, 14 long years later.

Specifically, the concept that boundaries and what happens within them define and validate us, contrasts and compares nicely to the theme of my year this year, which is "Momentum. May the momentum continue and continue to increase."

A thousand thoughts and questions jumped up to be heard and decided. Things like:
Boundaries should be respected. Obstacles should be obliterated.
How do you know the difference between a boundary and an obstacle?
How are obstacles defeated in ways that affirm our character without diluting it?
How can I experience the breakthroughs Momentum promises in the context of nonnegotiable things I learned to acclaim forever ago in my life?
Obviously, there is a lot more to be said than will fit in this post. I'm not saying that I''m overwhelmed with it all. On the contrary, I'm luvin' it. But the thoughts are going too fast in too many directions to make for good blogging.

And as if that weren't enough, like two rivers converging, the thoughts above are mingling with another event that I haven't yet started blogging about. My coming out process happened between June and December, 2001, basically exactly 10 years ago. I have been thinking a lot about the process and outcome of that time in my life...the good, the bad and that which smells good and tastes bad.

I've written a lot about those times that I've decided not to post. Not everything about me needs to be thrown out there on the internet for everyone else to pick through. But I am really enjoying the activity just now. Like identifying the various flavors on a pizza, and experiencing the taste overall, I am having a great time at present experiencing my past and present all at once, all taken together. We'll see where it goes from here.