Saturday, March 19, 2011

Women's Work

"I don't hate anybody, but I hate housework."

I hate cleaning house! I hate laundry! I hate dusting! I hate laundry! I hate it.

So I learned a trick from a college friend many years ago. He came to school in the fall with enough clean clothes to get through Christmas Break. He went home for Christmas and took all of his dirty laundry for Mom to wash. When he came back after Christmas, he had enough clean clothes to make it through the rest of the school year.

I didn't even own enough clothes to go three weeks - and that's getting four days out of each pair of underwear (right side out, wrong side out, right side out and backwards and wrong side out and backwards).

Now I have enough clothes to provide for a small Central American country, and do laundry about every three months. I try to make sure to change the sheets on my bed whenever we change the clocks. And today's the day. I got that washer and dryer screamin' for mercy. I've found that by doing this chore every three months, I get to enjoy it.

And tonight is my sister in law's birthday party, so we're gonna eat some good German food, drink some concoction made of Amaretto, beer and orange juice from some place called Edna's and go dancin'. Everyone else will drink way too much, but I'm driving.

But for a few hours, I will endure the women's work I have to do and try to enjoy it, knowing that I won't have to do it again until around the fourth of July!