Thursday, March 10, 2011

National People's Radio

"We've just exposed the true hearts and minds of NPR and their executives,"

Yeah, right. Like everyone who listens to NPR doesn't know that they're the 21st century version of Tokyo Rose. I don't mind, BTW. I don't even mind them representing themselves as unbiased. I don't mind FOX News doing the same thing on the other edge of the spectrum either. If I ever listen to either, I consider it entrainment not news. Unfortunately, in the U.S. our news sources are no more unbiased or reliable than those in the People's Republic.

I'm not sure what can be done to make things better. Most people in the US don't really want news. They want sound bytes that make them feel better or reinforce their own points of view. So long as they have enough information to participate in the discussions around the water cooler at work, they're satisfied. Complicated issues from diplomacy to monetary policy are reduced to a few well written lines of half truths to satisfy the masses and pave the way for the next commercial.

Consider this, concerning last night's senate vote in Wisconsin:

Headline: 'Wisconsin State Senate Makes Bold Move to Solve Budget Crisis'

Headline: "Wisconsin State Senate Strips Rights from Public Unions"

Question: Which headline is better?

Answer: Whichever one holds your attention through the commercial.

I think that if we knew the truth about things, most of us would be appalled and/or terrified. Sometimes, it's just better that we don't know. But for those who do want more and better information about the economic, political, social, spiritual, environmental or medical issues going on, always keep an ear out for what they're not telling you on the news. What they don't say is always as important as what they do say.

Unfortunately that takes a lot of time and effort. So let's see. I can spend a ton of time and energy finding out that which I really don't want to know, or I can watch World Nightly News and get just enough information to pretend I'm well informed and feel good about life. Tough call.

But why should NPR receive public funding when FOX doesn't?