Friday, March 11, 2011

Jim Swilley Coming March 20

"It's so hard to tell you, it's so hard to lie."

Jim Swilley is coming to Expressions OKC Sunday night, March 20. This is the guy who founded Church in the Now, the massive, non-denominational congregation in Conyers,GA in 1985. The church grew over 25 years, and throughout his almost four decades of ministry, Swilley struggled with being gay.

The amazing part about this guy is that when he told his congregation, they had enough respect for him and knew his heart well enough that they didn't stone him. They actually supported him fully.

I have experienced similar reactions with my Christian friends who I have come out to. I can't tell you how unexpected and wonderful that is. I thought I would lose several really good friends. I am so thankful that I haven't lost any, and now I don't have to live a lie. Now I wish I had done it years ago.

I can only imagine the trauma this guy experienced as he was getting ready to come out to his congregation and the whole world through the internet. I have never heard him speak, but already have so much respect for him, I can't even find the words.

See the video where he reveals to his congregation that he is gay. 

 I am really looking forward to seeing him in person and hearing what he has to say.