Wednesday, November 9, 2011

World Hunger In OKC

"It is silly for me to be doing this."

Today is my second day to go out to a homeless camp and hand out food. This week is supposed to be the larger of the two camps we visit. I'm looking forward to it on several levels.

Most importantly is the "Bridge To Tomorrow" concept I discussed last week. Everyone deserves at least this much, especially here in the U.S. and especially in Oklahoma City.

I'm also looking forward to the distraction from work. It's cool to be able to take time off and do this without worrying about it. That's the advantage to working at a family business that is successful enough to pay its bills and more.

It's also great to be 'on the team', working with people who have a heart and a passion for doing this little bit to make the lives of complete strangers just a little better. I'm honored and thankful to be around people like this.

It's also a reminder to be thankful for the life I have. I am fully aware that except for God's grace, I would be homeless and hungry. So many people are just a few paychecks or less from exactly this life, and yet they spend their days despising their jobs and pissing and moaning about this or that.

But having said all of that, and more besides, my thoughts today are about how silly it is for me to go do this when there are so many people more qualified with more resources that could do this so much better. But they're too busy building their mansions.

On a larger scale, world hunger seems to me to be a man made problem. The world has the capacity to make enough food for everyone a thousand times over. There is no actual lack of food. The lack is economic, which is not a naturally occurring event like famine or drought. It is a scenario caused by humans who spend their lives trying to get more for themselves and being rewarded for their efforts at the expense of starving people who cannot pay enough.

Does our government really pay farmers not to plant crops? As far in debt as our nation is, and considering that around one-third of the world goes to bed hungry, is that really a wise course of action? I think it would take me all of about 45 seconds to think of a better plan, yet this one has been going on for decades. Gawd.