Sunday, November 6, 2011

Earthquake? In Oklahoma? WTF?

"If this is someone's idea of a joke, I am not amused."

We don't do earthquakes here. Until now, that is.

At 2:12 Saturday morning, my whole house shook - just once, but it was enough to wake me up. I thought my nephew did something, so I got up ready to kick some nephew butt when he staggers out of his bedroom and asks me what I did to shake the whole damn house. The last thing to cross our mind was that we had just experienced a real live earthquake.

OK, it was a baby earthquake. 4.7 magnitude. But still...This is Oklahoma, not California.

That's odd, but not odd enough to interrupt a good night's sleep. We went back to bed.


Then 'the big one' hit at 10:53 Saturday night. Wow! 5.6. That's big time for us. This one lasted a long time too. Pictures rattled, the floor shook. I actually had time to wonder what to do. Do I go outside? Stand under a door jam? Cover my head? Get under a table? I know what to do for a tornado, but earthquakes don't happen here. This was actually the biggest earthquake in Oklahoma's recorded history.

I think I''d rather take my chances with tornadoes. At least you can see them coming.

I have officially decided that I don't like earthquakes.