Wednesday, November 16, 2011

The Small Things

"We cannot do great things in this life, only small things with great love."

I was half thinking that I've been borderline pissed off and feeling sorry for myself this week when I ran across the Mother Theresa quote above. It was at the bottom of my order confirmation when I ordered a few Obi Bands from BeadForLife.org. Obi means Heart, and this is a humanitarian organization helping women and children in Uganda and Nigeria. If I have to buy symbolic Christmas presents for a few guys, the proceeds might as well help someone. Plus, these bracelet things look cool. But I digress.

I was half thinking that I've been borderline pissed off and feeling sorry for myself this week when I got a call from a friend of the family who makes cigarettes for me. Several months ago, I started rolling my own. Then I found out that this family friend had purchased a machine like mine, and was rolling smokes for people to make just a little money. He's a painter by trade, has been doing it forever and is pretty good considering that he can't see as well as I can. Now he can't hardly work but still has a spouse, a granddaughter and her three kids to feed. By paying him to make my cigs, I help feed his family and still save $25 per carton.

I was half thinking that I've been borderline pissed off and feeling sorry for myself this week when I made arrangements to pick up cigs for mom and me, and I remembered that I had a couple of boxes of food left over from last Wednesday. I know my friend can use the food, but I don't want to humiliate him in any way. I asked him last night whether he knew anyone who needed some food, and (it being near the end of the month) he said he and his family could really use some. I'm glad I had some to give, in addition to the money for the smokes.

I was half thinking that I've been borderline pissed off and feeling sorry for myself this week when I realized that today is the day to pass out food again. I contrast these people's prospect for Thanksgiving dinner with mine, and realize that my family will be sitting around eating turkey and lamenting that nobody in my family can make dressing for shit while the homeless people I will see today will be thankful for anything at all to eat.

I was half thinking that I've been borderline pissed off and feeling sorry for myself this week when Nephew #1 of Six came by to borrow $200 basically because he didn't manage his money very well this summer and got behind on his electric bill. Of course, my bro is out of town. I either loaned him some money or gave him an early Christmas present. My bro would probably disapprove of the transaction, but I did the same for him over and over 20 years ago.

I was half thinking that I've been borderline pissed off and feeling sorry for myself this week when I ran across the Mother Theresa quote above. I began to realize how many small things I do with great love. It's always been that way, and I expect it always will. I know I'm an enigma, and not good enough. But there are thousands of small things that stand as evidence in my life that I have nothing to feel sorry for myself about, and much to be thankful for.