Tuesday, September 3, 2013

I Wish I Was A Musician

"Our government got it right when they created our National Parks"

I had the occasion, as part of a really boring Labor Day weekend, to just sit and watch TV. I hardly ever do that, so I took advantage of the opportunity while the rest of the family went to the lake - and were miserable because it was so hot.

Channel surfing, I came across an episode of the Ken Burns series on the US National Parks. This episode covered the time up to 1890, and discussed the first National Park (Yellowstone) and three subsequent parks in California (including Yosemite). I was not aware of the history of these parks and the conflicts and work involved in getting them established. I was enthralled by the stories and the beauty of these places. Hopefully I'll get some more TV time soon. The whole series is available for free on Amazon Prime Videos and probably on Netflix.

As I watched the episode, of course I remembered my own trips to Yosemite, Yellowstone, Glacier, the Grand Canyon and other National Parks I have had the honor and pleasure of visiting. My favorite is Glacier National Park in Montana on the Canadian border. I drove into the park the week after Labor Day (yep, about now) in the early 2000's. I drove to Lake McDonald and turned right, following one of the streams. The park was empty and the pass had already been closed for the season due to snow. I found a turn out, got out of the car and hiked down to the stream.

I listened to the leaves fall, the riffles, etc. I thoroughly enjoyed sitting there in the cold wind and warm sunshine as the seasons competed. I thought about music, and how a real musician (which I am not) can recreate at will music that is just as lovely and beautiful and inspiring as the setting that surrounds me. I thought about beauty, God, creation, music and a ton of stuff. What a great day!

Unfortunately, my musings were interrupted by the park ranger, who told me to get my butt back up to the road and into my car. I wasn't doing anything wrong, there were just reports of two bears in the area. Said bears would undoubtedly be on the prowl for a last meal before they went into hibernation for the winter. I would make a perfect candidate if I wanted to volunteer. Otherwise, I should not sit there anymore.

I appreciated the wisdom of the park ranger, and got back in my car. But I can close my eyes and be back there again anytime I choose, just like the musician can disappear into a musical composition any time he chooses.

After the Ken Burns episode was finished, I turned off the TV and did just exactly that. What a good weekend.