Monday, September 23, 2013

The Musician's Advantage

"At Least I Have An Option."

In further consideration of the question of purchasing a nice trombone and regaining my proficiency in this area, I got to thinking about the music paradigm vs. the sports paradigm. My thoughts drifted to high school athletes who thought they were really good (and some actually were), but whose playing career - much like my music career - ended abruptly years ago.

I remember going to my ten year high school reunion, the last and only one I intend to attend. I watched (with no little disdain) as all of the jocks (fat and balding by that time) sat around and watched old football game footage and congratulated themselves on what studs they were.

To this day it's easy to pick guys like this out at little league football games. They can't play anymore, so their kids are burdened with the responsibility of being the superstars that their balding, fat parents always wanted to be. What a sad way to raise kids. But to each his own.

Anyway, this weekend I had my own version of the jocks watching themselves play football. I spent some time remembering the awesome opportunities and experiences I enjoyed in high school and college playing trombone. And it occurred to me that whether I get another one or not, I am every bit capable, given enough time and effort, of playing just as well today as I did back then.

What a cool thought. The big shot jocks who were (are?) so arrogant and full of themselves would kill themselves today if they dressed out and tried to participate in the activity they grew up loving so much. I can smugly sit here and contemplate whether or not to do so in my own life. But at least I have the option.

Score one for the nerdy band jocks!