Monday, September 9, 2013

Musical Memory Lane

"Good Things Come In Three's."

I know that my previous two posts have been about music, and here comes another one. In an event unrelated to anything else in life, I decided to go to my nephew's (5 of Six's) piano recital this weekend. It was held at a venue I have never visited called the UCO Jazz Lab. That venue opened in 2002, but despite my past connections to jazz, the music department at UCO, etc. I've never been there.

And first thing inside the door is a picture of my trombone professor, jazz band director, director of music, et al from 1982. I have very fond memories of my time at UCO and with the music department there. Unfortunately those times did not last.

I was never good enough to play professionally, and my vision made it impossible to sightread on that level. I found other things to do with my life, and put down the trombone and the music paradigm many, many years ago.

But it was more than fun to have my picture taken with Dr. Kidwell (or at least his picture) at a really cool place that basically stands as a monument to his talent, leadership and vision.

And what's up with life bringing my music oriented past back to focus all of a sudden? Is the universe trying to tell me something? Do I need to get on eBay and buy a trombone? My ears are open, but I don't get it yet.