Thursday, September 5, 2013

In Memory Of...

"Score another one for the guy that lives in a bottle of booze."

I suppose I'm old enough to start losing friends occasionally. I lost one earlier this year.

My friend and I went to high school together circa 1980, before cell phones, Facebook or even personal computers. He was a musician - a damn good one. His primary instrument was the tenor sax, but he could competently play anything with a reed. My friend and I were invited to play in a local college jazz band when we were both still in high school. It was an honor, and it allowed us to spend a lot of time together. My friend was a great guy as well as someone to follow. I really admired him and appreciated our relationship.

A year older than me, he graduated and left OKC for the University of Miami. At the time, that school had one of the three best jazz music programs in the country. My friend went on a full ride scholarship. I was very proud of him and he was excited to go. He was full of hope and anticipation, ready to embrace a music career and bright future.

He returned home after just one semester. In the almost 30 years since, I never saw him sober again.

Somehow, my friend met the guy who lives in a bottle of booze, who moved in and took over. My friend changed completely. He was a loud, sloppy drunk, and absolutely no fun to be around. His future was destroyed. His parents spent thousands of dollars trying to make him well again. He lived in hell for the rest of his life and died last May.

And the guy who lives in a bottle of booze took yet another life.

It occurs to me that if people are warned about AIDS, they start using condoms. If they are warned about food poisoning, the are more careful to cook better. But the guy that lives in a bottle of booze is a clever one. He doesn't take everyone, just the ones who love him dearly.

And before he takes their lives, he lashes out at countless others through car 'accidents', child abuse, financial ruin, broken marriages and a host of other weapons in his arsenal.

To the guy that lives in a bottle of booze, I say, "I hate you! With all of my heart and everything inside me, I hate you for all of the harm, pain and death you cause."

To my friend, I say, "I'm really, really sorry. But I'm not surprised."