Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Choices With No Wrong Answer

"Hitting the bullseye is easy. Choosing the right target is the hard part."

I've been thinking lately about my trombone playing days of yesteryear, and seriously considering getting another one and rekindling my relationship with the trombone playing paradigm. It's been almost 30 years and I really miss it. I went so far as shopping online and in a local store this weekend. The good news is that there are a bunch of trombones out there. The bad news is that they are incredibly expensive.

I've thought about it enough to get stressed out. I had to stop this morning and remind myself that there is no wrong answer.

I can go get a nice trombone. I can learn to play again - it won't take nearly as long as it did the first time. I already know what to do. It's no different than working out. It's just a matter of execution. I will never be great. But I will quickly be good. Good enough is not possible in artistic endeavors, so good will have to do.

I can hear the loud pop, let reason take over and not get a new horn. For a lot less money, I can buy some good albums and listen attentively to the great, legendary trombonists. I already have a few. Arthur Pryor (circa 1905) recorded a version of "Blue Bells of Scotland" that nobody today can even touch. And when he recorded it, there was not way to copy the recordings, so he made 40 recordings a day by playing the piece 4 times in front of ten individual recording devices. I don't have to play a trombone to respect those who do it well. I can enjoy Arthur Pryor and a hundred others whenever I want to without spending a ton of money or practicing.

Logic votes for the second answer. Plus, getting a trombone means making a commitment to it. It takes an hour a day, every day, to do it well. Logically and financially, getting another trombone makes no sense at all. It's not like I don't have other things to do with both my time and money just now.

But, of course, logic and artistic ventures are incompatible by definition, so who gives two shakes of a fat rat's ass what logic says?

Should I get one? Which one? Will I do what I need to do to play well (I won't be able to tolerate playing badly). Should I wait and see if prices come down or if the passion subsides? Should I refocus on the piano and guitar I already have? Should I be logical and responsible? Should I go for it and enjoy it? Should I just think about it summore?

The answer is a resounding, "Yes!". But what is the question again?