Wednesday, August 14, 2013

I'm Not A Fiddle. Don't Play Me!

"San Francisco has more social services than anyplace I've ever been. Why so many homeless?"

"Do you believe in Karma?" The homeless guy following me down the block toward my hotel in San Francisco last week obviously didn't care whether I did or not, he just wanted me to give him money. He didn't appreciate my pointing that out, but I hate to be played. Ask me for something and I'll answer 'yes' or 'no', but don't manipulate me into doing what you want, then get mad when I won't play along.

That was one of many encounters I had with the panhandlers and pigeons during my five days in SF. The pigeons were actually more fun. The pic above was taken during my day hike through the city. We stopped for lunch and ate outside. The pigeons were all around. As it turns out, they were just waiting for us to get up from the table. We didn't make it five steps before they invaded. It was like an Alfred Hitchcock movie.

I'm not really comparing homeless people to the pigeons, even if their actions were similar. Neither were the least bit afraid of us, or bashful about engaging us to get what they wanted. But I do have a heart to help people who are having a hard time in life. I worked for a year with the homeless on Wednesdays, taking them food and such.

The odd thing is that San Francisco has a vast array of social services. They will help people there. But, of course, with strings attached. They'll help people find jobs, get educated, break their addictions, etc. But not the ones who stay on drugs, etc.

I get that. There's a big difference between a hand up and a hand out.

It's a worldwide, culture wide, history wide, human conundrum. What do we do with people who can't or won't do what they need to do to get by in life?

One guy said, "I just do two things: Drinkin' and women. That's it. Just drinkin' and women. I'd really appreciate any contribution you could make."

"Yeah," says me. "I should support you so you can drink and chase women? Good luck with that." I don't think the poor guy had a clue why I wouldn't give him money.

Anyway, the gauntlet of homeless folks, brave enough to engage people repeatedly, tenacious enough not to accept 'no' and genuinely expecting people to give them money was both annoying and depressing. I really hate being hard hearted and callous - almost as much as I hate being played like a cheap violin.