Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Good Habits Bring Good Luck

"Wellness and Strength is much more than weight loss."

As my 2013 emphasis is 'wellness and strength', I have been focusing on the physical side of life...weight loss, not smoking (so much), etc.

But the physical fitness picture is only a small part of wellness and strength. I've also been reading more, working hard to implement some long overdue changes at work, and a ton of other activities that lead to good results.

I just finished "Rich Habits - The Daily Success Habits Of Wealthy Individuals", which is a short, easy to read, concise overview of a thousand other self-help books out there. For me, it served as a good reminder of the concept that good habits lead to successful outcomes. (The book is not nearly as much about money as the title indicates. It's about life.)

The concept is this: There are four kinds of luck. Random good luck and random bad luck just happen. But our daily habits (good or bad) put us in the right place at the right time for situational luck - good and bad.

For example, random had luck might mean that I get hit by another car while driving. Sometimes, that's just random luck.

But if I am texting while driving, following too closely, fumbling with the radio or other electronic equipment, etc., my chances of being in an accident go up exponentially. That's different than random bad luck. An accident that happens in part because I am using bad driving habits is situational, not random.

If I am using good driving habits, I very possibly avoid the accident that would have been inevitable if I was busy texting or fighting with someone while driving.

All of life is that way. Good living habits by definition help avoid situational bad luck. And good living habits create a fertile environment for situational good luck to flourish. It's a simple concept, but easily overlooked when life gets busy and we operate mostly on autopilot.