Sunday, April 28, 2013

The Verdict Is In

"I'm not good enough, but I wouldn't trade places with anyone."

I think (hope?) it is normal when one crosses a milestone in life (like turning 50 tomorrow) to reflect on the past asking questions like, "What's Right?", "What is wrong?", What happens now?", etc. I've obviously been asking those questions for the past couple of months. I've found some things that are finally wrong enough to motivate me to change them - hence the Wellness and Strength focus this year.

And I think that my 50th anniversary of existence will come down the same as always where those questions are concerned.

I'm not good enough. There's a ton of evidence and more than enough witnesses to support that verdict, and there's really no defense. I've had the best opportunities, exposure to some of the best people on the planet and was provided with more knowledge of God than most people I know. I know many people who have done far more with far less. In many ways I feel like I've missed the bull's-eye in life.

But I'm in a good place. Even if I didn't do it right, life has been pretty good to me. I have less stress and am less busy than anyone I know. I have enough money, plenty of time, a heart that can still love deeply and is relatively unpolluted and undivided. And I'm happy.

I haven't done it lately, but in the past few years I've checked in on some of the people who have been the most belligerent at telling me I'm not good enough, and they got shit. I wouldn't trade places with any of them. If they're so much better than me, and I'm so not good enough, they are the ones that should have more to show off, not me.

Russell Westbrook, all star point guard for the OKC Thunder NBA team provides a great picture of life for me just now. Just a couple of years ago, everyone was on his case. They nicknamed him 'Worstbrook' and thought we should get rid of him. This week, he hurt his little knee and you'd think that the balance of power in the whole free world changed because of it. I'm glad he didn't believe in the people who said he wasn't good enough.

Anyway, who said I was supposed to be good enough? I'm a great guy, and that is good enough.

For all of those who don't think so, I'm truly sorry. Your lives would be better if you thought otherwise.