Monday, April 15, 2013

Oh Boy!

"I need a drink!"

I just wrote checks to the Federal and State Mafias for significantly more than my annual salary.

I didn't do it this year, but in the past I have taken a quick poll of coworkers in my circle of influence. First I asked if they knew how much their refund would be this year. Everyone knew exactly.

The second question is whether they knew how much they paid in taxes last year. Nobody knew.

It's not that I worked with stupid people, they just don't want to know. Their thinking is that there's nothing they can do about it anyway, and it's depressing. So it's better just not to know the answer.

But dammitt! It's important.

When I look at my own personal finances, specifically at where my money goes, the single biggest expense I have is my house. Every month I pay principle, interest, insurance and ... taxes. All of that taken together represents the single largest bite out of my paycheck every month.

The second biggest expense I have is Income Tax. I spend more money on taxes than I do on food, transportation, entertainment (even with Internet and TV) or anything else.

I'm spending more money on Taxes than I spend on anything else except my house. The expense is not optional and I am not satisfied with the value I receive for the money I spend. Outside of income tax, I pay all kinds of taxes already. Taxes out the wazoo are built into every product I buy - then I pay sales taxes on top of that. And the government is broke - and always looking for more revenue.

Personally, I think we have to shut this thing down a little. Sure, we need government. But we don't need one that's this big or this expensive. But unless and until the average American knows how much they are paying in taxes, nothing will ever change...except taxes will go up.