Thursday, April 4, 2013

The Gym

"OK, I'm all done being stupid."

Well, Since December, I've been thinking and talking about getting in better shape. More specifically, about eating better and exercising more. Less specifically, about Wellness and Strength as I turn 50 this year and start the second half century of my life.

And I have accomplished some things. I've starting vaping instead of smoking, and that's going pretty well. I never drink soda anymore. I'm taking better care of my mouth, trying to eat smarter and working out at home a little.

And on the scale, the sum total of all of that taken together is a big, fat, perfectly shaped zero.

And I realize that I've been an idiot. Why am I trying to figure all of this out when there are fitness gyms on every corner with educated and motivated personal trainers who already have all of this figured out?

Other people like going to the gym and working out. They want to look good for their wives or show off or be studs. I get it, but that's not who I am. Some older guys want to look like they're 25 again and so they work out, buy red convertibles and try to date 22 year old girls. Not this guy - although I do drive a red Jeep and the top comes off...hmmm.

For me, working out is like taking medicine. I don't want to, I need to. If I could figure out how to accomplish Wellness and Strength, be all that I can be and honor God without doing it, I would.

My thoughts this month are: If I need to work out, I need to treat it like medicine. I need to do it right (maximize the time invested in it, avoid injury and not waste time and energy doing it wrong).

I'm not the guy to do that, any more than I am the right guy to go browse through the prescription medicines behind the counter at a pharmacy and figure out what medicine to take. I need someone who knows what he's doing.

And I found him. We had our first workout together yesterday. I honestly think we accomplished more in an hour than I have accomplished in four months on my own. I'm excited, and ready for more medicine. More to follow...