Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Fireworks and the Summer Finale

"We had joy, we had fun, we had seasons in the sun."

Well the Fourth of July weekend was wonderful. Time with family at the lake, on the boat, in the sun, campfires at night and lots and lots of fireworks. It was a good way to end what has been a very active and enjoyable summer. But from this point on, it's too hot for this boy. I've already had my fill of 100+ degree days, and it's time to move back inside.

It's also time to resume my reading list and do some things in my house (the air conditioner still isn't working). I love being outside when it's not so hot, so I'm putting in a couple of Solatube skylights next week to bring in the daylight. I need to spend some quality time with my washer and dryer, and prepare for cooler days ahead someday in the not too distant future.

And besides, I've spent a considerable amount of time over the last couple of months reaching out socially and trying to expand my world a little. It's good to get out of one's comfort zone, but not for too long. I find myself wanting the comfort foods of life - a good book, my  piano and guitar, my hot tub, etc. I'm not sure I put as much energy as is necessary into meeting new people, but I've done what I can for now. We'll see if I made enough progress for momentum to kick in and take over. I hope so.

I'm excited for a change of seasons, and a change of thinking. I'm looking forward to exploring a little more intellectually, and anticipating that I will continue to learn and grow, even as the heat bakes everything to a crisp outside.

I do, however, feel that the summer was unusually short this year. It was cold up until the first of May, then it got hot and stayed hot. It seems like usually I get to enjoy summer from about the middle of March (on a limited basis, at least) up until July 4th. Them I'm pretty much done until after Labor Day.

I doubt I will get as much introspective, inside my house, enjoy my comfort zone time as I want. Things are still busy at work, and I do have about three new friends I want to do stuff with. My brother's birthday is next week, and then the whole office except me and one other will be out for a week to fetch another airplane someplace in Alabama.

And "Mr. Happy's Halloween" is coming July 27. This will be the seventh anniversary of ... blah. Anyway, it's not my favorite day.