Sunday, June 9, 2013

Pura Vida : : Wellness And Strength

"We had a great time."

This is what the week looked like from our balcony. It is on said balcony that I thought about the ad hoc slogan of Costa Rica, "Pura Vida".

I think Pura Vida, Pure Life, connotes something different to those in Costa Rica than it does to me. At first I really loved the thought. Then I started to see it in action, and only loved it a little instead of a lot.

To me, the word 'pure' connotes two things: Pure is unpolluted. Thoughts are pure if they are not attached to multiple or conflicting motives or impure desires and intentions. A heart is pure if it is not encumbered with bitterness, jealousy, hate, fear or prejudice. Pure also means undivided. Focused, passionate and effective.

'Pura Vida' to me therefore connotes living life to its fullest, trying to make the most of each day for the good of people, the planet and everything in between. What a cool concept.

But the more I heard the phrase used and observed how and when it was invoked, the connotation changed a little. I understood it as an expression of living life fully regardless of the consequences. It does connote saving the planet, but also includes an element of self centered, 'all that matters is my pleasure, screw anyone that doesn't like it, I am the center of the universe' mentality that I completely reject.

I want to live life, especially with my emphasis on wellness and strength this year, in my own understanding of Pura Vida. I want to attack life intentionally, desiring to do good for myself and for others. I want to be strong and well. I was amazed how nice looking and healthy people seemed to be there. (I had the same observations in Africa last fall).

If people in third world countries can eat healthy, live healthy and be well and strong, why is it such a fight here at home? This makes no sense. I want to understand this better.