Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Running From An Avalanche

"Don't look back! They may be gaining on you."

Sorry for the Blogging Blackout. It's just been busy. Mom had Round 2 of having stints put in her heart, we've had a major (by Oklahoma standards) snowstorm, it's end of year time at work, Christmas parties, working out, eating too much, and everything else you can think of has been going on.

Plus, this is my time of year to be introspective.

I've been reviewing my year of "Wellness and Strength" and charting a course for next year. 2011 was a year of Momentum (May the momentum continue, and continue to increase). 2012 was a year to coast and enjoy. 2013 was all about "Wellness and Strength". There is measurable progress but I'm still not where I need to be. So what will 2014 bring?

We're in the end of year airplane buying mode too, which means that I have a bunch of bills at work for which there is no money to pay. It was this way last year too, but it seems worse this year - or else everything else is getting to me and I don't have enough energy to feel the checking account's pain.

In any case, this will all pass soon. In the mean time, I am reminding myself that I have a pretty stress free life compared to most people. Times like now, once everything settles down again, are just reminders of how good life really is.

Besides all of that, it's Christmas time. I have taken time to really enjoy playing along with Pandora's Jazz Holiday Radio on my trombone and piano now and then. My Christmas theme this year is Music, and I only pulled out Christmas decorations that tie in to music.

In my world,, Music = Sanity. Every couple or few years, I allocate time to listen to the complete performance of Handel's Messiah. I have every intention of devoting time to that endeavor this year especially. That single act may turn out to be the biggest contributor to my year long Wellness and Strength theme.