Friday, December 20, 2013

1 Cor 6:9-10

"Thou Shalt Not Take The Name Of The Lord Thy God In Vain."

I have thought forever that Duck Dynasty is the stupidest show on TV. But I'm all about political and social agendas. We all have them. We all have issues we believe in deeply, and want to see changed. Since I have a blog, I think I shall promote mine here:

My issue is the drunks. I believe very strongly that a third conviction for DUI should be a capital offense, and should incur the death penalty. Drunk drivers kill people - innocent people who were not involved in the perpetrator's decision to get drunk and did not receive any benefit or pleasure from that decision.

Further, violent crimes such as child or spousal abuse, rape, assault or anything associated with firearms when the suspect was drunk at the time of the incident should incur the death penalty on the first offense.

That may sound harsh, but violent drunks and drunk drivers cause incredible harm and should be purged from society.

That's my opinion, and I am allowed to have one.

But when I escalate that opinion to the level of spiritual truth, documented by snapshots of scripture like 1 Cor. 6:9-10, which clearly states that "neither [blah, blah], nor drunkards [blah, blah] have any part in the kingdom of God", when I tell all of the Christians they aren't following Christ if they disagree with me, when I use the Bible (God's Holy, self expression to man) to justify and solidify my social/political opinion and coerce others into submission to it, have I not violated the Third Commandment?

Using the name of Jesus and all that He stands for to promote any agenda is exactly what the Third Commandment forbids. And we do it all the time. Hitler killed 6 million Jews in Jesus' name and the Catholic Church sat by in silent agreement. The concept has been used to persecute and discriminate against all kids of people groups throughout history including blacks, divorced women, kids born out of wedlock, and a whole lot more.

This is as wrong as anything else on the planet. Period.

Which is more important, the Third Commandment or the First Amendment?