Monday, March 25, 2013

Simple Math

"God Loves A Cheerful Giver."

I never have trouble contributing. Everybody in the world that's doing something good needs money. I love helping and being a part of good causes, humanitarian projects, evangelistic or holistic outreaches, missions or a variety of other concerns. I'll probably never have any money - I'll give it all away.

Giving is, of course, not just financial. It is money, time, used furniture, clothes, credit card miles, broken down cars, advice and counsel and anything else you can think of.

Contributing to the well being of others is absolutely a component of "Wellness". When I give to a worthwhile activity, everyone benefits. I benefit from knowing that I helped accomplish something good notwithstanding anything that could be said about my value (or lack thereof) otherwise. Other people benefit by receiving whatever I can give. Nobody loses. The universe is just a better place. And as one who gives, I have an undisputed role in making it so.

So how about this simple math concept:

More or less, 3500 calories is 1 pound of body weight. If I want to lose a pound a week, I have to do something with 3500 calories a week, or 500 per day. I can work hard enough to burn them up. I can consume fewer to begin with.

-or-

Can I give them away?

Surely someone can use an extra 500 calories a day, right? Two thirds of the world goes to bed hungry. Sounds like there ought to be need and a solution equation someplace in there.